Continuing the process of spit-biting photopolymer plates. This time, adding pigment to the mix!
Or, how I learned to rethink my materials, again.This post follows on the heels of the last ("Blocking Light In a Creative Way"), and recounts another scenario where I made a major inroad in how I approach media, process, and critical thinking. One of the major themes in my studio practice is adaptation. Besides narrowing … Continue reading Spit-Biting and Photopolymer
Or how I learned to rethink my materials...
A super low-tech egg timer switch for electrolytic etching.
The Main Switch. I use this in correlation with my larger power supply. This was made with a commercial timer switch for vacuum presses. We use one at the frame shop for mounting. I just bought the switch and mounted it into wooden box for the etching station. The top outlet is connected to the … Continue reading The Main Switch
The electrolyte is the solution that allows electricity to flow from one plate to the other. There is a different electrolyte for different metals. For copper, the electrolyte is copper sulfate. For zinc, the electrolyte is zinc sulfate. For steel, the electrolyte is ferrous sulfate. All three chemicals are readily available online; copper sulfate is … Continue reading The Electrolytic Solution
Here are a few more little photopolymer intaglio prints with a lot of tinkering on the part of the transparencies. No digital bits here! I've been really interested in capturing physical forces, much like early scientists during the advent of photography. These images are a result of capillary action, a physical phenomenon that allows liquid … Continue reading Some New Little Experiments
UPDATE: (March 2018) I haven't moved further than this post with this project. Unfortunately, litho has fallen by the way-side due to changes in schedule, focus of my work and the studio, and the decision to limit the physical toll that he studio takes on my body. Being the newest addition, and least practiced element … Continue reading DIY Leather Litho Rollers (Attempt No.1)
I showed off my paper-tearing contraption of at the 2013 Southern Graphics Council conference in Milwaukee, but it just received a new tweak. Something that I am embarrassed to say took me this long to figure out. I switched out the clamps that normally hold the straightedge to drilled holes and wooden pegs. These make … Continue reading Production Paper Tearing (Improved!)
Well, the chiropractic issues have forced my creativity to come up with something that won't seriously upset the pesky little pinched nerve in my neck. Looking around both my and my mister's studio I found inspiration in the wonderfully designed desk lamp. Using what I had on hand (with the exception of the springs) I … Continue reading New Easel